Total Pageviews

Tuesday 29 March 2011

The night started well and ended well

The weekend is over and my wife and I have now attended my niece’s birthday party and a good time was had by all.

A couple of hours before we were due to leave the house I decided what I was going to wear. I opened the wardrobe door, picked out a pair of trousers and a shirt, yeah, fine. I took out a pair of shoes, quickly wiped them, yeah, fine and then relaxed.

My wife said, “We have a couple of hours, I have plenty of time to sort my outfit out.” Ha! A mental snort of derision escaped from my brain. You have never been ready in less than two hours in all the years I have known you! No woman is capable of being ready in less than two hours! So as I watched an episode of Spaced (series 1 episode 7: Ends) written by the wonderful Jessica Stevenson and the very strange but wonderful Simon Pegg, my wife began her ‘attempt’ to be ready in less than two hours.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, 1 hour and 55 minutes later, my wife was ready. So we headed out to the venue.

The night started well and ended well. I have to say that quite a bit of alcohol was consumed, but only to the point where people were happy and not at the fighting stage. Jokes and funny stories told, and dancing was done. I was the drunken uncle who sat happily in the corner mumbling away but not to himself but to the other members of the family around the many tables spread about the spacious hall. I did not dance (my wife was very pleased by this. I do not ‘bust shapes’ on the dance floor, as previously mentioned my dancing is somewhat Thunderbird puppet based).

Before you think “Oh god he was the drunken uncle who bores people to death”, no I was not. Honestly, I was not. No, really I wasn’t. Nobody was boring everyone was entertaining, especially the birthday girl. There was a DJ with what can only be described as a wide variety of music, everything from Abba, The Scissor Sisters (“Dancing Queen” and “I Don’t Feel Like Dancin’” can turn even the straightest man into a dance floor diva) to ZZ Top.

Drink. Music. Dancing. Drink. Music. Dancing. You get the picture, indeed many pictures were taking. All I will say is that it was a great night.

Anyway, I need to get back to important things, not that this is not important, but more important this. So until the next time, I will say hail and farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment