Total Pageviews

Tuesday 22 March 2011

Stranger in a strange land

I woke very early this morning to a bit of a bright but breezy day, as time passed it developed into a slightly dull and windy morning, culminating into a grey blustery afternoon, but what a lovely day Monday was especially the afternoon.

It was bright, very little cloud in the sky although it was a bit windy, however that did not stop me from sitting outside enjoying the sights and sounds of nature. Little birds twittered and seagulls cawed in only the way seagulls do. The small garden trees to my left provided a natural windbreak. Ah, the peace and tranquillity of an early spring day.

On Monday, like every other day I checked emails looking to see what exciting jobs were out there for a young, upwardly mobile individual like me. Then I did household activities (I will not bore you with the trivia that revolves around the duster, furniture polish and vacuum cleaner), after I sat resting on a garden chair contemplating the meaning of life. This philosophical moment lasted for approximately 2 seconds until I realised I could do nothing about the state of the universe, after all, I am not Professor Brian Cox nor am I Dr Carl Sagan.

Therefore, I sat there eyes closed, with thoughts of golden beaches and lapping seawater drifting through the vast canyons of my mind. Thoughts of Spain drift in and out of my mind on a regular basis. I do not need to be ‘basking’ under a tepid, watery Scottish sun to think of Spain. Nevertheless, it helps.

Ah, Guardamar with its lovely beach and its lack of tourists. Guardamar beach tends to be a local beach for local people, but not in a creepy, League of Gentlemen kind of way. As far as I know there is no Spanish equivalent of Edward and Tubbs to scare the foreigners, but if I do encounter them, I will be sure to mention it.

For anyone who has never seen or heard of the seriously disturbed but creepily brilliant ‘League of Gentlemen’, those last comments will mean absolutely nothing at all. Just put it down to the ramblings of a pasty-skinned Scottish sunstroke victim who should not fall asleep outside on a warm day.

However, that was yesterday and today is today. I tend to find that even in my world, Tuesday follows Monday on a regular basis, except when I use to work night shifts, and everyday just seemed to be the same.

So what excitement filled my Tuesday? Well, to be perfectly honest, nothing. Oh did take my in-laws for the weekly shop, this was unusual in itself as this always occurs on a Thursday. I do not know if that constitutes a rip in the fabric of reality when something that trivial happens, but if a butterfly flapping its wings on the other side of the world can power a wind farm in the Mull of Kintyre, anything is possible.

As I say Mull of Kintyre, thoughts of visits there spring into my head. There were many walks along the coast and across a sand bank only accessible at low tide to a little rocky island, these images flicker like an old film across the front of my mind.

Anyway, before I begin drifting into a world of weirdness and insanity due to the sun, I will say farewell. So, err, farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment