Total Pageviews

Monday 21 March 2011

Right here, right now

Sometime ago not in a galaxy far, far away, I started writing a blog.

The reason I started it was because a friend of mine thought that some of the anecdotes I recounted about what my friends and I got up to on hikes, hill climbs, and when we go and reduce the life expectancy of clay pigeons, sounded like fun. And, I must admit it was fun to write.

Then I realised that those events were few and far between. Surely my life was not just one large lump of boredom with a series of exciting bits in between? Well, yes it was. But that is what life is all about.

If I’m to be honest, I’m not quite sure why I have taken up the electronic pen and started doing it again. Maybe I need to get my mind into some sort of order. Maybe I need to practice my typing. Maybe all of that is an excuse for me to see exactly what I do with my life on a regular basis, and then realise I do nothing of note. I don’t know. Really I don’t.

Why do I want to get my mind into some sort of order? Well, if you ever saw my mind you wouldn’t have to ask that question. I have to say that over the last few weeks I have been (almost) the perfect husband at the weekends. As my good lady rests her weary head on the pillow on a Saturday and Sunday morning I am doing my best impression of a man who knows his way around a kitchen.

After almost 18 years of marriage I know what a frying pan and a bread-knife look like. And I am not afraid to use them! About 10 years ago the frying pan was replaced, where possible, with the grill. No longer do sausages drown in their own juices. No longer does the occasional piece of black pudding bob up and down in its own fat! No longer does white bread launch itself from the toaster!

I should point out that I actually like white bread. I feel it is impossible to make a decent Breville Toaster toasty with brown bread. If anyone has a good recipe for brown bread in a Breville Toaster that stops it falling apart when you try and remove it from the aforementioned Breville Toaster, could you please let me know. These last comments come from the dark recesses of the ‘single-man’ part of my brain. More of these may appear.

Another thing I have been doing is shaving properly at the weekends. What? I hear you gasp. A man shaving properly at the weekends! This is impossible! Well, I do. I am. Stop this incredulity at once. Monday to Friday I am clean shaven and almost respectable, but after a Friday morning I never looked at a razor until the alarm went off on a Monday morning, but that has all changed.

Don’t worry, I haven’t hit that point in my life where I am planning on buying a huge motorbike or starting to rant like Jeremy Clarkson (although he can be pretty funny sometime), I just feel that I need to give myself a bit of motivation and clear my mind of rubbish and nonsense. And that’s what I am doing. I feel that if I release these random thoughts every once in a while I will feel better, and already I do.

I’m not as good as Wendy who writes a great blog on the life of a mum who explains the issues surrounding autism http://www.savette.com/. It should be pointed out that unlike ignorance, bigotry and racism autism is not contagious. Read the blog and you will see that there are some really stupid people in the world.

Nor indeed is my life as interesting as SadieX http://www.sadiex.blogspot.com/. I say no more other than read the blog. If this had appeared before Helen Fielding wrote Bridget Jones, Rene Zellweger would have been playing a very different role.

Anyway, before I begin ranting about the noise that flock of geese passing overhead are making, I will say farewell until the next outpouring of loosely connected thoughts. Farewell.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the mention and well done on starting the blog. It looks good

    ReplyDelete