Total Pageviews

Friday 24 February 2012

Looking before I leap. Even without knowing where I'm leaping.

About a week ago I was asked to go along to an interview at my work. An in-house position had come up and they wanted to know if I was interested. 

Why not. What had I to lose?

As it turns out, I got the job. 

The full aspects of the job had not been explained to me, because if they had I would probably not have applied.

To be honest I am overwhelmed by the amount of work involved in this role. The number of tasks involved is pretty high and I feel it might have been better getting someone who was already familiar with the job, for example one of the existing trainers and replacing them with someone from the production area, or spread the work load between the other trainers, to slot into the job rather than bringing someone fresh into the role with little or no knowledge of the way things are done.

I actually feel it was unfair on both me and the company to put me into this position.  I also believe there are a very large number of new starts coming into the company, which increases the pressure on who is taking on this role.

Also, the person training me was only available for 8 ½ days before she went off on maternity leave. She has been in the role for over three years. I feel that the time scale was ridiculously short to learn even half of what was required.

I expected a number of administrative tasks, yes, but not to the extent that I have discovered I have to carry out.

Next week I will tell you more about what happened today. But until then…

No comments:

Post a Comment