Total Pageviews

Monday 9 April 2012

After all, garden sheds are supposed to be a bit messy... Part Three... The bit after part two


In order to make the mould rest I was going to need some cardboard, a ruler, a pair of scissors, a water-pot, and water.

1. cut out a piece of cardboard approximately 15cm (6") square.

2. Brush around the base rim of the mould with a little paint.

3. Press the base of the mould firmly onto the centre of the card.

4. Wash the mould.

5. Carefully cut around the printed outline on the card.

***

Moulding Guide

In order to make the moulded player I would need a small mixing bowl, a jug, bowl or suitable container at least 2.5cm (1") taller than the mould, metal spoon, fine sand paper, water, washing-up liquid and a cloth.

Then I filled the container for the mould approximately three quarters full of water. I then filled the mould almost to the top with water and poured that into the mixing bowl. After that it was time to place the mould in the mould rest.

Using a metal spoon I sprinkled the moulding powder into the mixing bowl of water until there was a thin film of water left on top. To be honest this did not sound that scientific, but hey-ho, those were the instructions.

I began stirring the mixture with the spoon until it was smooth.

Holding the mould around its base under the rest, I immediately spooned the plaster mix into the mould until, as per the instructions, it was a third full. 

I then had to gently squeeze the mould to expel any air bubbles and ensure all parts are filled. Too be honest, I think I now know what it's like to milk a cow.

I then placed the mould in its rest on top of the container of water then carried on adding the mixture until the mould was full almost to the brim.

I then rinsed out the mixing bowl and washed the spoon in case I needed it later.

All I had to do after that was to leave the model to dry for at least 40 minutes, or longer if necessary. And longer is my current option.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment