Total Pageviews

Thursday 28 April 2011

Here we go again, another tale of another trail


This one takes us on a slightly more scenic route than around the town and covers some more of the history of the town.
I begin my journey as I always do by closing the front door and walking the mile to the town centre. It’s from here I decide which of the routes kindly suggested by the local council pamphlet I will take. On this occasion I will go round the 400 year old harbour, pass the old railway station, and head along the fringes of the River Forth.
I walk down the twisting road and head to my destination. I cross the small wooded platform that allows access across the railway line (Beware of Trains. They are big and sore when they hit) and look out over the flat landscape at the river, as I look to the right I see the post office building and the old custom house.

I cross the small bridge and begin following the path around the dock. It has to be said that the dock is not looking at is best at the moment due to the low water level. Mounds and tons of mud and silt undulate inside the walls of the harbour. Small long legged, long beaked birds move over the damp surface looking for food.
The walk along the foreshore is a pleasant one. Ahead of me there are two wooden bench for those who need a rest and want to savour the views of the River Forth. If you stand at the edge of the foreshore and look left you can see up to Grangemouth, every once and a while oil tankers move to and from the massive refinery, breaking through the grey, choppy water.

Straight ahead the far shore of Fife can be seen, looking down to the right, in the distance can be seen the Forth Road and Forth Rail Bridges. The foreshore is rocky, no golden sands of a Greek or Spanish beach to enjoy. 
I continue my walk and head towards the Upper Forth Boat Club. There are no boats sitting on the 'runway' today, the water is too low for that, but the yard is full of private boats wrapped up for use. Not far out I can see the white sail of a red boat that has made it's way from the Blackness Boat Club. The two occupants moving back and forth across the boat, doing whatever needs to be done to make it go the way they want it to. As you can probably guess from that last statement, I don't sail, although the idea of 'boating' is something I find interesting.
In front of me is the harbour that I passed some time ago. near the harbour there is the railway yard, part of the Scottish Railway Preservation Society. The SRPC station has a lot to offer, there is a fixed exhibit filling two very large rail sheds, old steam, diesel and electric trains give those who are too young to remember or those who want to relive the golden days of train.

Another experience that the SRPC offers is the power and joy of steam with a 'Day out with Thomas the Tank engine', Easter egg specials, Diesel gala days, Santa steam trains and the traditional Scottish Black bun special.

My journey comes to an end and I prepare to climb the old iron bridge that crosses the railway line.Once again I hope I have entertained on a one of my little rambles.

No comments:

Post a Comment