Total Pageviews

Monday 11 April 2011

The other night, my wife made me do something I thought I would never do…

Don’t get me wrong, after it was over I actually quite enjoyed it. It was entertaining. I can honestly say I never had any intention of watching Mamma Mia!

Its not really my kind of film, there is far too much singing dancing and not enough explosions/aliens/car chases to keep me occupied, but I have to say it was rather fun. However, I will not be going to the musical the next time it comes to the theatre in Edinburgh, at this, I have to draw the line.

The scene-stealer for me was Julie Walters. She was magnificent! She was sassy, saucy and seductive and any other words that start with S that you can fit into the sentence (SadieX, pee-leese tell me you are like this at a night out? Even if you are not, in my mind you are now).

It was very brave of the entire cast to sing and dance their little hearts out. If that’s what Greek weddings are like (it’s set on a Greek island in case anyone doesn’t know that) I may go to one the next time we are in Greece.

The last time we were in Greece or I should say on Greek island, the island of Zakynthos, it was far too hot to do anything but lie on a sun-bed (the white plastic lounging type, not the ones that are bad for you) next to the swimming pool.

The benefit of being so close to the pool was that you could slide off the white plastic surface and straight into the cool water, like a great ship leaving its dockyard moorings on the Clyde. Once in the water you bobbed about until sure skin became wrinkly, then climbed out in order to, once again, apply factor 5000 to the already reddening skin.

Would I go back to Zakynthos? Damn right, I would! We have been to Corfu and Crete as well as Zakynthos, and they are all lovely. I really liked Zakynthos Town. The town was severely damaged in the 1950s by an earthquake and had to be re-built into what it is today. It’s a mix of classical and modern and works really well. The harbour is busy and the streets full of great places to see and great places to eat.

If you decide to go, try to find a bit of real Greece when you are there, we did. Admittedly, it was a 12km round trip walk up a rather imposing hill, but the local taverna and the local people were great. The town was rustic and rural and everything that modern holiday makers who seek chrome and glass, mini-bars and karaoke would hate. We loved it!

Right, while I go and look out my holiday snaps, I will leave you to your day and hope you don’t have an image of myself and my good lady dancing like Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan (watch the film and you’ll see what I mean).

So until the next time, take care, good luck and farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment