Total Pageviews

Friday 15 April 2011

A knee like a sock full of custard


When I woke up this morning, I knew that staying up late last night was a bad idea. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t drinking or in any way enjoying myself, I was merely slumped in front of the television catching up on stuff I meant to watch during the week. My posture was not good I have to say.

It was a mistake. I should have paced myself. So as a result, when I woke this morning, I felt like a character in The Walking Dead, and I do not mean one of the living ones.

I decided to check out emails and twitters. I looked over my favourite bloggers (check out the links on my page). I decided to check out what was on television (yes, again), but I knew I was not going to build up any enthusiasm doing this. I thought about reading one of the many books that I have. None appealed. I thought about listening to one of the many audio books in my collection. Nope. That was not grabbing me either, so I decided that I needed to clear the cobwebs out by going for a walk. As it turned out, I didn’t clear them I merely nudged them a bit.

My plan was a simple one. I would walk the one mile down hill route from the front door to the shore of the River Forth; I would then head out towards the local boat club and take in the view of the majestic bridges that span the river from South Queensferry to North Queensferry. The idea seemed a good one, but it never happened. You see, the walk down hill is fine, but today the prospect of the walk up hill (which today seemed like 10 times longer than usual) did not appeal to me. I have been on long walks. I have hiked a good bit in my time, but the thought of a one mile up hill slow walk just did not appeal.

Therefore, I decided that I would simply head up to the golf course and take advantage of the local paths set aside for those of us who want a bit of fresh air and trudge through some fields without thwacking a small white ball with a club.

All went well for about the first 15 minutes and then I got a pain in my left knee. I have had an issue with my left knee for a few years now, when my weight is fine and I have been regularly exercising it doesn’t give me any hassle, but if I have to be honest, I have not been exercising as regularly as I should be.

A few minutes later, my knee goes from being a perfectly engineered piece of natural design to being a knee like a sock full of custard. Watery custard, not the great stuff we use to get at school. The walk had to end, but I still had a bit of a walk back to my house. I made it and decided that the only thing that would cure this ache in the bendy bit of my leg would be a nice soak in a hot bath. This I did. My next move is to look out one of the many books that I have (yes, the ones I didn’t rate earlier) and lose myself in its fictional world.

Until my next blog entry, I say farewell for now and see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment