Total Pageviews

Friday 8 April 2011

I went for a walk the other day...

When I say I went walking, I mean a planned walk, not a normal walking ‘one foot in front of the other’ kind of a way. I can do that kind of walking anytime.

This walk was planned, I had a route to follow and I do not mean the route from the fridge to the living room sofa. I try to do something like this on a semi-regular basis. I enjoy walking, I enjoy looking at the scenery and breathing the fresh Scottish air and apart from that, it’s good for me.

The planned route wasn’t particularly long, only about 3 miles, but the scenery along the shore of the River Forth is lovely, even more so on a glorious sunny day. This was not one of those days, but it was still pretty to look at. The description in the local walker’s handbook says “A short easy-to-follow walk along the foreshore. Take in the industrial and natural heritage of the area from the historic harbour to the Nature Reserve.” I did, it was lovely.

One of the other great things about any walk that I go on is that the everyday things that are so annoying don’t disturb me. Walking is all about peace and quiet, getting into a state of mind that is relaxing and stress free. I enjoy walking down at the foreshore into a wind as it blows the smell of the sea against me like its cleansing the day-to-day worries from my body and mind. I know that all sounds a bit Zen like, but it’s what I think.

I do take a mobile phone with me, but it is set to vibrate not chirrup. It is annoying when you are in a relaxed state of mind and then music bursts from some ones phone wrecking the moment. “Why take one then?” I hear you ask. Emergencies, that’s why. Take a Moby, but keep it quiet.

The great thing about walking is that is does not have to be expensive. The only bit of kit that you really need is a good pair of walking boots. A wind proof/water proof jacket is also good, as is a woolly hat. I know what you are thinking, “I bet he has one of those multi coloured woolly hats with the ear flaps and the long cords and pomp-pomps on the ends”. Actually, I don’t, but it was a close thing between one of those and a plain black one. Just to reassure you, it’s a normal plain black one, not one with the earflaps and the long cords and definitely not pomp-pomps on the ends.

Anyway, I wont bore you with the details of my very enjoyable little walk to the local nature reserve (a mere 5kms/3 miles round trip), but I returned rosy cheeked and full of vigour and fresh air. Until my next little wander about the countryside, I will clean the dried mud off my boots and think about where I am going to go next.

No comments:

Post a Comment